Chelmsford Branch – June 2020 Newsletter
Well, what a year it has been so far! Since I last wrote to you many of us have been confined to our homes to assist in the fight against the Covid-19 virus, which has sadly claimed so many lives. These are challenging times for all of us and I hope you are keeping well.
I would like to assure you that our Welfare Officers are still very active and have been keeping in regular contact with those that we know to be vulnerable. If you are in need of a friendly phone call or any other type of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. As you know welfare of members and their families is our primary concern.
Those of you who receive Sue Heaton’s regular updates via email will already be aware that all physical NARPO meetings, both nationally and locally, have been cancelled or put on hold pending a resolution to the crisis. As previously advertised your Branch managed to hold our AGM via a conference call and, all being well, I plan to hold our next regular Committee Meeting via Zoom (or some other technology), on 27 July. If you have any matters you would like discussed please let our Secretary know on: EssexChelmsford@narpo.org
At the time of writing we await definitive news on the Essex Police Garden Party, but we will let you know any updates as soon as we know.
In the meantime, please stay safe.
We have a new website for the branch which is integrated within the main NARPO website. So now you can move seamlessly between our branch pages and all the information and offers provided nationally.
On our branch pages, you can find information such as how to contact the committee, the latest newsletters and updates as well as details of forthcoming events. The main NARPO site has a wide range of useful information from some of the big issues facing police pensioners through to member offers on financial products, insurance, holidays and cars.
www.narpo.org/branches/chelmsford takes you straight to our branch. From here, you can navigate all the branch pages and then reach the main site by clicking on the NARPO logo, which is top left of the page.
If you want to start on the NARPO site, go to www.narpo.org When you’re ready for the branch pages, you can get to the branch list via the main heading Discover and then NARPO Branches. We are listed as Essex (Chelmsford).
Enjoy browsing. You might be surprised at what you find!
Do we have your email address? If you received this newsletter by post, then it’s probable that we don’t.
If we can email you then, as well as the quarterly newsletters, you will receive regular updates most weeks from our Branch Secretary, Sue Heaton, as well as other useful circulations. Using email rather than post also reduces our administrative costs.
If you did receive this newsletter by post and are happy to provide your email address please let Sue know at: EssexChelmsford@narpo.org
Don’t worry if you don’t have email or don’t want to provide your address – you will continue to receive the newsletters by post.
Requesting assistance for vulnerable members
We are conscious of the fact that some of you may still be self-isolating/Shielding, or indeed be unwell during this difficult period. If you feel you may need help or you know of anybody that may need help then please contact one of our welfare officers Tim Stokes: firstname.lastname@example.org
We can then quickly assess what your requirements are and get appropriate resources or assistance to you asap
One of our members, Dennis Hicks has indicated to the committee that he is willing to make himself available to discuss the above disease which he contracted in March and subsequently needed hospitalisation for treatment. He is happy to chat and explain first hard about his experience which he describes as ‘the worst experience I have had‘.
If you would like to find out more please contact him via our secretary Sue using her email: EssexChelmsford@narpo.org
The Chief Constable regrets to inform you of the following deaths since the last newsletter:-
- David Holland who retired as a Detective Constable in 2009. He passed away on the 30th March 2020 aged 79 years
- David Hudson who retired as a Chief Inspector in 1994 and served at Rayleigh, Southend, Westcliff, Billericay and Basildon. He passed away on 1st April 2020 aged 83 years
- Roy Fenning who retired as a D/Chief Inspector in 2009 and served at Chelmsford, Harlow, Regional crime squad, Wickford and Headquarters. He passed away on 9th April 2020
- Leonard Payne who retired as a Detective Constable in 1979and served at Laindon, Rayleigh, Brentwood, Rochford and Billericay. He passed away on 9th April 2020 aged 92 years
- David Taylor who retired as a superintendent in 1989 and served at Brentwood, Basildon, Tilbury and Chelmsford. He passed away on 20th April 2020.
- Peter Brown who retired as a constable in 2003 but returned as a support staff member, he served at Epping, Stapleford and Stansted Airport. He passed away on 1st May 2020 aged 65
- Geoff Callan who served within the Southend Borough and Headquarters before transferring to the City of London police. He passed away on 5th May 2020
- Peter Hewitt who retired as a Constable in 1995 and served at Grays, South Ockendon, Corringham and the Dog section. He was awarded an MBE in 2011 for the charity work that he was engaged in. He passed away on 7th May 2020 aged 72 years
May they all rest in peace.