Vacancy at Bishopscourt
The Bishop of Chelmsford has a vacancy at Bishopscourt.
The Bishop of Chelmsford is looking for a driver/handyman who can work with him on a part-time basis.
It unlikely that the bishop will need driving much more than about twice a week, though there will be some seasonal variation. From September to December 2018 there were also seventy-nine hours of driving duties. The journeys are agreed in advance and are mostly around Essex and East London with occasional longer journeys to other parts of the country. The driver/handyman will also be responsible for:
- cleaning and maintaining the car and will take responsibility for all aspects of the car’s maintenance and servicing
- other driving jobs, such as delivering the post, or picking people up from the station.
In addition, the driver/handyman will be expected to come to Bishopscourt for five hours each week to:
- look after the car
- be the contact person for contractors and others who come to Bishopscourt
- ensure a number of small routine maintenance jobs (such as clearing gutters) happen each year
- be available for other small jobs, such as shredding, wood cutting, managing rubbish, recycling, shopping for supplies and going to the post office as required
Set in four and half acres of land, Bishopscourt is large five bedroomed Edwardian property with a modern office building attached where four people work each day. The property is owned and maintained by the Church Commissioners.
The successful applicant will be given a mobile phone so as contacts can be made in his or her own time. Then it will be their responsibility to liaise with contractors on site, where necessary, and to keep the bishop informed of what is happening, and to liaise with the Property department of the Church Commissioners over all matters to do with the maintenance of the house and garden. This may occasionally require additional hours, which are agreed in advance. The garden itself is looked after by contract gardeners who come in weekly.
The successful applicant will attend the monthly diary planning meeting at Bishopscourt.
The remuneration for this post will be £12.00 an hour