Volunteers Required National Stalking Helpline
Circulated to Branch Secretaries
Please see the below, which may be of interest to your Members.
The National Stalking Helpline is run by Suzy Lamplugh Trust. Suzy Lamplugh Trust is the UK’s pioneering personal safety charity and leading stalking authority, established in 1986 following the disappearance of 25-year-old Suzy Lamplugh whilst at work. We work towards creating a society in which people are safer – and feel safer – from the prevalence of stalking, harassment, aggression and violence, achieved through Supporting people; Education; and Campaigning. Our stalking helpline advice and advocacy service offers support and advice to thousands of victims of stalking every year.
Helpline volunteer job description
We are looking for dedicated, enthusiastic and empathetic volunteers to respond to emails from victims of stalking. Full training will be given so previous experience in these areas is not mandatory.
- Excellent writing skills
- Be able to commit to one day a week (around 6 hours) for at least 9 months
- Be able to attend the Helpline training dates
- Familiarity with databases is desirable
The Helpline’s opening hours are:
Monday – Friday 09:30 – 16:00 except Wednesdays when we are open 13:00 – 16:00.
What support/training will you receive?
Volunteers will receive training in providing support via email, criminal and civil legislation relating to harassment and stalking, domestic violence, stalker typologies, personal safety and helpline policies and procedures. Volunteers will work alongside a Helpline Advisor every shift for support and debriefing purposes, and will have regular 1-1’s for support.
What will you get in return?
- Comprehensive training in issues surrounding stalking and harassment.
- Making a difference by playing an active role in supporting people affected by stalking and harassment.
- An opportunity to learn and develop valuable transferable skills.
- Gain valuable experience in the charity sector.
- Become part of a fast-growing and respected service.
- Expenses will be reimbursed in line with Helpline policy.
Where are we?
We are based in Central London (due to the sensitive nature of the work we do, the location is only revealed once an applicant is successful).
Please send your CV and expression of interest to – firstname.lastname@example.org
Suzy Lamplugh Trust
Please click here for more information about Suzy Lamplugh Trust and for ways to donate
If you are experiencing stalking please click here to contact the National Stalking Helpline or to find out more
Charity no: 802567 Company no: 2417823
email: Sue Heaton